I cut the fabrics and sewed it up per the tutorial instructions. The instructions say to leave the opening at the top of the flap. I'll be honest - I have no idea how anyone gets that to work and look nice. Mine looks very wonky (at best). And please look at all the pins I had to use just to try to keep the pieces flipped under. Big mistake. Huge.
I got it topstitched shut, but pretty it is not. Fortunately I don't think my niece will care or notice. Also, my velcro *might* be a touch wonky. It's difficult to tell since the flap is so distorted. The tutorial said to place the velcro on the flap 3/4" down from the top of the flap. I find this to be just a touch too far down. My velcro doesn't line up perfectly when the flap is shut. On the next pouch I make, I will move that velcro up just a bit.
Below is a picture of the pouch with my iPhone inside. The iPhone fits very nicely. Not too snug so it is difficult to get out, but not too loose either. I also have an iPod touch and that fits very nicely as well.
And lastly is a picture of the closed pouch. Other than my disappointing flap, I think it is pretty cute and very functional.
Thanks for reading and stay tuned for Ella's pillowcase dress! It will be my first garment so we'll see how it goes!