Wednesday, August 8, 2012

iPhone / iPod pouch



I went to the quilt shop the other day (to look for backing fabric for Ava's quilt) and yet again found some fabric that just begged to be purchased. This Michael Miller fabric is perfect for my nieces since they love all things horses, not to mention purple is Ella's favorite color. (It's a very good thing my daughter isn't old enough to ask me to make her things yet!)  My sister right away said it would make a great pillowcase dress for Ella, so that is my next project. And of course, Ava wanted an iPod pouch made with this material. I figured the iPod pouch would be a fairly quick project, plus I wanted to cut the fabric for that prior to washing it for the pillowcase dress. I followed this tutorial for the iPod pouch.


I cut the fabrics and sewed it up per the tutorial instructions. The instructions say to leave the opening at the top of the flap. I'll be honest - I have no idea how anyone gets that to work and look nice. Mine looks very wonky (at best). And please look at all the pins I had to use just to try to keep the pieces flipped under. Big mistake. Huge.

If When I make this pouch again I plan on leaving my opening at the bottom. I can't see why it would be a problem to do so. The flap on the top should (theoretically) be easier to turn out than the 2 corners and then the only topstitching would be across the straight bottom seam. Of course, there is probably some reason not to do that, which I will learn about when I am trying to do it, but that is part of the fun, right? Not at the time anyway, but afterwards it's always fun to look back at your silly mistakes. Case in point....


I got it topstitched shut, but pretty it is not. Fortunately I don't think my niece will care or notice. Also, my velcro *might* be a touch wonky. It's difficult to tell since the flap is so distorted. The tutorial said to place the velcro on the flap 3/4" down from the top of the flap. I find this to be just a touch too far down. My velcro doesn't line up perfectly when the flap is shut. On the next pouch I make, I will move that velcro up just a bit. 


Below is a picture of the pouch with my iPhone inside. The iPhone fits very nicely. Not too snug so it is difficult to get out, but not too loose either. I also have an iPod touch and that fits very nicely as well.


And lastly is a picture of the closed pouch. Other than my disappointing flap, I think it is pretty cute and very functional.


Thanks for reading and stay tuned for Ella's pillowcase dress! It will be my first garment so we'll see how it goes!

-V

No comments:

Post a Comment