Wednesday, September 3, 2014

easton's baby quilt :: finished

Well, yet again I have inadvertently taken a 3 month hiatus from blogging.  However, I have worked on a few projects this summer. First up to show you is my son's baby quilt....

Last summer I started working on a quilt for my then yet-to-be-born baby boy.  I was pretty sure I wanted to work around a navy / aqua / green color scheme.  I had pinned a few quilts with similar color schemes on Pinterest.  Somehow I came across the striped fabric from the Seaside fabric line by October Afternoon.  It was exactly the colors I had in mind, so I purchased a yard of it and slowly collected fabrics that coordinated. 

I finished the first (test) block for Easton’s quilt on August 26th, 2013.  I was really loving the way it looked; the colors, the fabrics, everything.  So, I made 47 more blocks.  Chain-piecing made quick work of it and I had all the blocks done about a week before Easton was born.  And I could have had the quilt top together before he was born, if it hadn’t been for one little glitch….  

When I laid out all the blocks as I had originally planned, the values were not quite right. I wasn’t getting the secondary pattern I had hoped for.  My goal had been Sunshine & Shadows (pictured on the left), but even the Barn Raising layout (pictured on the right) didn't look right.  As I was mulling over my options (over-analyzing as my family would say), I ended up going into labor & having Easton.  So the blocks sat.  Finally this past April, I couldn’t look at the poor blocks any longer.  I was adamant that they get sewn into a quilt top…. But I still couldn’t decide on a layout.  I toyed with sashing them, but ultimately decided that was more work than I wanted to put into it and I didn’t think it would look any better.  

Finally, I decided to go with this zig zag layout, which is officially called Fields and Furrows, and is quite fitting since we are a farm family.  Plus, it was the only layout that looked half decent.    

This quilt top was sent to Abby Latimer for quilting.  She suggested the "Modern Leaves" pantograph & it turned out perfect.  It complements both the fabrics & the zig zag layout.  

I decided to bind the quilt with the same green fabric that I used for the backing since I thought the top could use a little more green to balance it out.  (And I had plenty of green fabric left over.)

Easton turns 1 on September 23rd.  I thought Tensley's first year went fast, but Easton's first year went even faster!

Quilt Stats:
Quilt top - compilation of fabrics based on navy / aqua / green color scheme
               Backing - green fabric
               Binding - same green fabric as backing
Pattern: log cabin blocks in the Fields and Furrows layout
Dimensions: 48” x 64”
Started quilt top: August 22nd, 2013
Finished quilt top: April 23rd, 2014
Quilted: by Abby Latimer of Latimer Lane Quilting using the “Modern Leaves” pantograph pattern  
Made for: Easton Cronin

Thanks for reading!  I have 2 more baby quilts to share, so hopefully I will get those blogged soon!