Tuesday, March 22, 2016

shortcake quilt

Hello again!  In my attempts to use my stash, especially the pre-cuts that have been sitting unused for far too long, I decided to use my “It’s A Hoot” jelly roll to make the Shortcake pattern by Cluck Cluck Sew.  I used the entire jelly roll (42 strips) and with careful cutting I was able to make my quilt slightly larger than the pattern’s throw size dimensions.  My quilt ended up at 56” x 73”.  (Since I’m tall, I like to err on the side of longer quilts.)  I loved making this quilt!  It is such a fast, easy pattern, without looking "boring"!  I highly encourage you to try out this pattern if you need a quick quilt  & have a jelly roll begging to be used! 


I purchased the background fabric years ago, when I made my daughter’s toddler quilt (made out of a charm pack of the same fabric line), so I knew it was a good complement.  I had just enough for the background, so that was another great way to use up my stash.     


For backing fabric, I used 2 yards of this blue "floral" fabric, which was also from my stash.  I used this fabric to back my last quilt also.  I still have 2 yards remaining, so I’m sure you’ll be seeing it again in the future.  ;)
 

I sent this quilt out to Abby Latimer of Latimer Lane Quilting and she quilted it with the Modern Loops panto.  I thought simple quilting would complement the pattern, especially since the fabrics are pretty busy.   


For binding, I went with a black and white stripe, again from my stash.  I couldn't believe how perfectly the stripes lined up on this corner!  This was such a fun quilt to make and the best part was using up so much of my stash in the process!  And how about one last look of the finished quilt....
 

Quilt Stats:
Fabric: 

          Quilt top - jelly roll of It’s A Hoot by Momo for Moda & cream with green polka dot background fabric
          Backing  - Hunky Dory by Chez Moi for Moda
          Binding - black & white stripe
Pattern: Shortcake by Cluck Cluck Sew
Dimensions: 56” x 73”
Started: September 2015
Finished: September 2015
Quilted by: Abby Latimer of Latimer Lane Quilting

3 comments: