Wednesday, May 14, 2014

the accidental quilt ----> christmas coins quilt :: finished

I finished this quilt top back in August of 2013.  You can click this link to go back & read more about how I made this quilt, if you are so inclined.  I had originally named this quilt the "Accidental Quilt" since I hadn't really planned on making it, but now that it is finished, I have decided to name it "Christmas Coins".      


This quilt top was sent to Abby Latimer for long-arm quilting.  We decided on the Christmas Snow pattern, which I think turned out really great on this quilt.  The only thing I wish I had done differently is used a different backing fabric.  I didn’t want to spend a lot of time on the backing, so I used a wide back that I found at my LQS.  I like the backing fabric, but the quilting really gets lost on the busy fabric.  I love when quilting stands out on the back of a quilt, so going forward I will try to choose fabrics that will allow the quilting to shine! 


I decided to go with the same grey fabric for the binding as I used for the background so the coins could appear to float on the background fabric.  


The “giveaway” will remain open through the month of May.  Click back to this post for the details & to enter, if you are interested!   Giveaway now closed.

Quilt Stats:
Fabric:
          Quilt top - Blitzen by Basic Grey for Moda and a grey solid for the background fabric
          Binding - same grey solid that was used for the background fabric
Pattern: simple coin design
Dimensions: 69" x 83"
Started quilt top: August 1st, 2013
Finished quilt top: August 7th, 2013
Quilted: by Abby Latimer of Latimer Lane Quilting using the Christmas Snow pantograph pattern

By the way, Abby is having a Christmas Quilting in July sale.  Click on over to her website for more details if you are looking for a long-arm quilter!

Thanks for reading!

6 comments:

  1. Beautiful quilt! I love when the quilting pops on the back too, but that backing fabric is pretty enough to make up for it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It turned out beautiful! Someday I want to make a Christmas quilt. I want to have them on all the beds in the house!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Too funny! I just finished 2 "accidental" quilts myself, just have to bind them. I laugh all the time about how I "accidentally" start new quilts. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. So pretty - simple yet elegant. I like it! Will have to "schedule" an accidental quilt over here-hehe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very pretty fabric and colors!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's absolutely gorgeous, really good way to showcase a Christmas line!!

    ReplyDelete