Wednesday, August 7, 2013

the accidental quilt top....

I didn't set out to make this quilt top....


Originally my plan was to take the scraps left over from my Starry Christmas quilt, sew them all into strips, cut the strips to 6.5" tall & 70" long and use them on the back of that quilt.  I didn't calculate anything out, I just started sewing scraps together, figuring that I'd maybe be able to make 2 or 3 rows of strips.  Well, it turned out that I had more scraps than I thought!  Not only did I have enough scraps to sew 10 rows of strips, I ended up having a giveaway for the rest of the scraps!  In fact the entire "back" could have been strips sewn together, had I wanted to keep piecing them.  Instead, I decided to use some grey fabric from my LQS to separate the pieced strips with rows of grey.  Once I did that, I realized this quilt "back" might as well be used as a quilt top rather than making it "share time" with the Starry Christmas quilt.  I also thought about using the grey fabric as a border, but decided I preferred the look without the border.  It's kind of like a coin quilt, only the coins are giant and all different sizes!  Haha.


The quilt measures 69" x 83" after being squared it up.  Random dimensions, I know, but again, this was supposed to be the back.  The only drawback of calling this a quilt top is that it brings my total to 3 quilt tops that need a backing & need to be quilted!  And I have 2 more quilts I want to start on very soon!  I think those 3 quilt tops might just have to wait a little longer to be finished....

-V

Linking up to Needle and Thread Thursday.  
Linking up to Thank Goodness It's Finished Friday
Linking up to Finish It Up Friday.
Linking up to Confessions Of A Fabric Addict.
Linking up to Richard & Tanya Quilts.

13 comments:

  1. What a very happy accident! It turned out lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely fabrics. It looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful! Such a simple design, but very lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this quilt. How are you planning to quilt it?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like this a lot!! How great that it was all an accident!

    ReplyDelete
  6. accidental or on purpose- it's great! love those kind of accidents! Definitely worthy of being a quilt all on its own.

    Thank you so much for sharing this at Needle and Thread Thursday!

    :) Kelly @ My Quilt Infatuation

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks great! Good luck getting all that quilting done. That does seem to be the bottleneck most of the time...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very nice for an 'accident'. Love it when things like that happen.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Serendipity causes the most delightful things.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a lovely accident, may you have many more :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy ending for a non planned quilt back. Yes it deserves to be a front, very cool. Congrats

    ReplyDelete